Saturday 1 December 2012

Alone But Not Lonely



One of the first things you learn as a writer is that writing is a solitary process. You spend most of your time sitting at your desk with your writing instrument of choice (personally I prefer the computer) and commit your thoughts to a more physical form. During this time, it's important to remember the difference between being alone and loneliness.

 When I first found this video is was back in 2011 and I had just moved to Canada and discovered blogging.  I had even dedicated one of my past entries to this video. I found the video as moving then as I do now and an accurate portrayal about how I feel when I write. Sometimes I feel ashamed, staying alone and spending so much time in my head when I could be with others. This video definitely put things into perspective for me.Solitary activities can be fun.

In my case I'm never truly alone, it may sound weird but it's true. I always have my characters near to me in my mind, we converse and interact. I know many writers often feel the way I do and sometimes would love to catch a break from the characters' whose stories they're writing.

 Through this video I have come to realize that doing these solitary activities may not give me much human interaction but it helps me sort out my writing with relative ease as well as the turmoil I gather through my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment