Monday 1 October 2012

How I learned to write.



When I was a young girl, around the age of nine. I began writing stories. Like most stories written by children, they were focused more on the self than actual plot progression and character development. I mean, how would you develop your self? Isn't that the same as seeing the future? I really had no concept of a good story outside of 'add more drama!'

 It wasn't until I picked up my first manga that I began to refine my craft. Micing the lines of plots I saw there to create my own stories. I still have the fanfic I wrote for that series but I shall never let anyone see it every again. 

 When I learned to write it was a trial and error kinda thing. where I would wonder: Does this make sense for this character or is this story easy to follow? Questioning my writing worked in the beginning, allowing me to correct my mistakes and move forward with a more defined purpose but until I started learning the techniques behind the craft I was still slowly progressing.

 I honestly suggest picking up books on the writer's craft. They help immensely when trying to edit your work or even just get better at writing in general. More often than not, they help you see where the major mistakes in your writing are, if you can swallow their medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment